Saturday, October 10, 2009

2009 Last House on the Left


First I want to admit that I have not seen the original 70's version of this film. With that said it's a hard one to rate. It's basically the story of a girl in the wrong place at the wrong time. The "kill" her and leave the scene to find shelter and end up at the home of the unfortunate girl. Her parents welcome in the weary travelers. She pulls herself to their doorstep half alive and it's revealed to the parents who the guests really are. So I actually find the plot to be very interesting. When I decided to watch it it was because I wanted to see how parental vengeance could play out. Usually it's the bad guys with the upper hand and I was interested in the tables being turned. The cinematography wasn't anything spectacular but wasn't poor either. The characters and acting were pretty good. The overall film was ok. I have a couple of issues with it though. First, there is a very graphic rape scene that literally made me want to cry. I don't like them and I think implying them can often be just as effective if it needs to be included at all. I was watching trying to figure out why anyone would agree to this scene and then realized it was the vehicle that would ultimately make you have no pity when the bad guys got theirs from the parents. Next issue...I wanted the dad in particular to be %100 bad ass when it came to protecting his daughter. Instead it was pretty much luck that he finished them all off. Even the father's ultimate revenge in the very end didn't seem severe enough for what I had to endure during the scenes leading up to the action. Overall I give this film a D+. It didn't scare me as much as it just made me mad but it did at least muster up some emotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment